Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 3rd and Frozen Veggies


Lunch Dinner
Bacon and Eggs with salsa and sour creamChicken drumsticks with broccoli

Lets talk frozen veggies. Frozen veggies are typically flash frozen within hours of harvest which allows them to supposedly have higher nutrient values since fresh veggies lose nutrient value while sitting in the store. One rule of thumb is "in season, buy fresh. off season, buy frozen". If you a truly concerned about getting every possible oz of nutrition, than Google it for yourself. If not, I'll share with you my process. 

I buy frozen veggies in bulk from Sam's Club since it is cheaper and easier than buying individual packs at the grocery store. Each has several family sized servings separately wrapped in steam-able bags.   You can also cook them on the stove or throw them in a stir fry. 
Broccoli
I usually cook by broccoli in the microwave and serve as is. Turtles and Green Beans love to eat their "Trees". It may not be as good as steaming your own, but I don't have a steamer so this works perfectly.
French Green Beans
There is something fine about a good roasted fresh green bean! We have all been in the store where the pile of green beans looks like it is diseased or fell off the truck on the way here. In those cases, these green beans  work well. I usually toss them with some EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Put them in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. They will not roast like fresh green beans so be careful not to over cook or they will be dry. They are also good out of the microwave, I do add a pad of butter and seasoning before serving though.
I can't. I just cant eat frozen mixed veggies like this. I'm all for eating a mixture of veggies, just not like this.

Ingredients:: Vegetables ( broccoli, sugar snap peas™, carrots, water chestnuts, red peppers, baby cob corn, mushrooms), Sauce Packet ( water, soy sauce [water, soybeans, wheat, salt], brown sugar, seasonings [modified corn starch, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract, spice, natural flavor, soy sauce [salt, soybeans, wheat]), miso [water, soybeans, rice salt, koji starter], sesame oil, spice, garlic, ancho pepper base [red chili pepper, ancho powder, salt, corn oil], vinegar).
Contains: Soy, wheat.


This blend of veggies works well for me. I don't like baby corn, but Husband will happily take it off my plate for me. There is a sauce packet included is tasty but there is a lot of junk in it. I would encourage to make your own stir fry sauce.

Stir Fry Sauce

  • 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (try for a gluten free version)
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger to taste
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • If not low carb, you can add a dab of hoisin sauce to make it thicker.

Spinach I only get frozen for a quiche. These packages like this have gotten smaller over the past few years due the increasing food costs. I have yet to find a bulk chopped spinach I like but Sam's club does sell big bags of spinach. 


Corn is a "vegetable" that I tend to stay away from due to the carb content as well as it is typically Genetically Modified*.   I do however enjoy a corn salsa in the summer. Which I just happen to have the recipe for right here:

Corn Salsa

  • 16 oz frozen Sweet Yellow Corn
  • 2 Poblano Chilis, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup Red Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/3 Cup Chopped Cilantro (optional)
  • 1/2 cup fresh diced seeded tomatoes
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh Lime Juice to taste (I like lots)
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh Lemon juice
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Satuee the corn and chilies in a little butter until slightly browned. Cool and add the rest of ingredients  Best if made in advance and allowed to marinate in the fridge. Serve as a dip or as a topping for tacos/burritos. 

Now that summer is quickly approach it is a good time to locate your town's farmer market. Bookmark these recipes for next winter and enjoy a summer full of fresh veggies grown near you!

*GMO-The jury is still out for me but for now I choose to limit known GMOs and I do support labeling. 





No comments:

Post a Comment