Saturday, April 27, 2013

Whole30 Day 11 & 12, Beef and Broccoli, Strawberry Fields Cafe and Meat Market Steals

The post root canal haze is starting to lift and life is looking a little more bright. Or it could be because I ate 3 square meals today including two with red meat.

Day 11
Breakfast-I think it got skipped by both Whole30 parties.
Lunch-Husband had leftover wings and an orange. I had water and lortab.
Dinner-Beef and Broccoli with Onions


Day 12
Breakfast-Strawberry Banana Smoothies
Lunch-Leftover Beef and Broccoli
Dinner- Sirloin Steak with Sweet Potatoes




The dinner of Beef and Broccoli came around by accident. I had some cubed steak I was going to cook up with onions. I gave Husband a choice of frozen green beans or frozen broccoli and he wisely chose broccoli.

Beef and Broccoli

Cubed Steak
1 yellow Onion
1 bag of frozen Broccoli
Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder 

I had a 3 pack of big cubed steak. Probably about 1 lb.  I set them out on the counter for 45 minutes before I was going to cook them. I rubbed them with sea salt and let them sit. After sitting for 45 minutes I sliced them into thin strips, sprinkled black pepper and garlic powder, and fried them in coconut oil. I also cooked an onion in another pan. It was soft but not caramelized throughout.  I cleaned out the cubed steak pan and put in a tablespoon of Ghee and tossed the steak and onions together. I then warmed up the broccoli and added a tablespoon of Ghee and tossed. I served separately but next time I will toss it altogether in the pan since it ended up that way on the plate. 

Strawberry Fields Cafe
 This is the 2nd healthfood store I go to in town. It has an organic cafe attached to it which serves really good food. They also have Whole30 compliant smoothies which are made of fruit, ice and 100% fruit juice. Now I know it isn't the best idea to eat an 8oz cup of concentrated fruit, but I figured the lack of intake from the tooth issues warranted at least one smoothie. I also had to share with two little girls so I'm not sure how much I actually got to ingest. It was enough to give me an energy boost to make it to the farmers market and Albertsons. 

Downtown Farmer's Market
(not today, but wanted to show set up)

I've been wanting to get down here the past few weekends so I was really excited to go today. As you can imagine there isn't a lot of produce for sale yet but I wanted to get the lay of the land. The best surprise of the day was there was a local rancher who sells grass fed beef  at market store prices! I didn't plan to buy anything but now that I know they are there, I plan on stopping back by. There are also green house tomatoes that looked great. I'm excited for the summer produce to start rolling over. If you are close to the Pecos Valley you must try Pecos Watermelons and Cantaloupe  They are the most amazing fruit. I really can't wait for those to come in towards the end of the summer.  



I do not normally like to shop at Albertsons but I had two girls who were about to lose patience with me shopping. HEB was going to take to long so we all ran in to grab a few things (EGGS!). We hit up the meat aisle and they were having a huge sale. I got 
  1. Two family sized chicken leg packages on sale with an added in $3 dollars off. Making what was over $7, only $3. 
  2. Two packs of pork chops, 50% off
  3. Two packs of sirloin steaks, 50% off
  4. 6 lbs hamburger $6 off
Overall we saved $43. Not to bad for an unplanned grocery store trip





No comments:

Post a Comment