Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Conscious Splurge

Before we get to far along and you start to think I'm inconsistent about clean eatting, let me explain the splurge. Splurges are food binges defined by the individual. I used to think splurges were warranted every weekend and 2nd Tuesday of each month. Lets just say that didn't end up working out well.



After a great deal of trail and error my splurges are now defined as:
  1. Holiday: Easter,4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas
  2. Birthdays: Husband, myself, Turtle and Green Bean
  3. Weddings (I'm at that stage in life where there are weddings every summer)
  4. 2nd Tuesday of each month 
Rules of said splurge:
Only lasts the day of for holidays and  for one meal for weddings and birthdays. Cake is excluded because you can eat cake from the time it is cut to the time you go to bed (or midnight...cheater).

So no eating sweet potato casserole the day after Christmas or hot dogs for a week straight after the 4th of July. Birthday cake doesn't get to last for 4 days (it really keeps you from giving everyone else unreasonably small pieces if you know you won't get to enjoy the leftovers). 

Last Thanksgiving at my Mom's house we had a ton of leftovers. We ran out of corn casserole on Thanksgiving so we made another one to accompany the leftovers the next day!! 

With those rules in place, it doesn't mean you can't still enjoy a nice dinner out or call for delivery Chinese on a week night. It primarily keeps me from my true passion of baking sugary awesomeness balled up into a cookie.  It helps keep my kitchen from looking like the candy aisle at the store. Having it out of the house means I have to make a conscious decision to order pizza (with the added cinnastix of course). As I pointed out previously, conscious food decisions are the key to good eating. 


In interest of full disclosure, I have a stash of Easter candy waiting to come back out for the 4th of July ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment