Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My "Perfect" Pot Roast

Please please please don't ever make a pot roast in a crock pot. Don't use canned gravy or powdered onion soup. Just don't. People will tell you how awesome it is. It is not.

Pot Roast
 Start with a chuck roast. Mine are usually 3-4lbs. Generously cover with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a dash of onion powder. Let it sit for 15 minutes of so for the spices to start to dive into the meat (optional if short on time). Heat up some coconut oil in a frying pan over medium high. Brown each side for around 5 minutes. It will get a nice caramelized top. Set in a lined 9x13 pan and pour pan toppings over.

 In come the carrots. Did you know carrots are freshest when they still have their green tops on? Once those tops are cut off they start to lose their flavor faster? And baby carrots are a inferior product altogether. Haven't had anything but baby carrots in years? Try a large fresh one. It will be amazing how you actually like the taste of carrots again. But I digress, wash your carrots and cut the top and bottom tip off. You can cut them into strips but I prefer to leave them whole. I like my carrots with a little life in them so I eat the thick part while my husband likes the softer carrots so he eats the bottom (thinner) half.  Lay them next to the meat and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. 
This step is optional. Adding your own beef broth would be even better but I don't ever seem to have any on hand when needed. I use one can of Swanson beef broth but you can use water in a pinch. My mother would say you could use bullion, but you must cut your salt back if you choose that path. I personally would choose water of bullion. Just pour it around the sides of the pot roast, over the carrots. 

This is a key part!! Place aluminum foil over the top and seal the sides so that none of the moisture can get out. Place the pan in a 325 degree oven for 2.5-4 hours depending on the size of the roast. When done it should be able pulled apart by a fork. 

I do not put an onion on top of my meat. I prefer to save the onion and cook it on its own. About 30 minutes before the meat is done, I peal and slice an onion. Place it in some melted butter or coconut oil and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes. You can add a dash of Worcestershire sauce if you want.  Add a spoonful over your roast with a spoon of juices from the pan and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment