Thursday, April 18, 2013

Whole30 Day 3 Recap and A Really Good Chicken Recipe

Well day 3 is over and no slips occurred  I know it isn't really that hard but I'm still proud. Especially since I'm the only one in the house doing Whole30. So give me a


Breakfast-Coffee, leftover quiche
Lunch- leftover quiche, La Croix
Dinner- Really Good Chicken, Sauteed Veggies, Tea


I made this chicken from a compilation of recipes and then just kinda winged it once in the kitchen. If you have been reading my recipes you know I'm not really specific. Just a pinch there and a sprinkle here. So I tried to write down everything I did, but it is important for you to taste each component before putting it all on the plate together. 

Really Good Chicken


Rub:
2 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Ground Coriander
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp Ginger
Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper to taste
Couple dashes of Allspice
The allspice was a last minute addition (hence missing from the picture) because I felt that it was missing a sweetness. Nutmeg or Cinnamon could have also worked. I usually go off smell for spices but I'm glad I tasted it and added the allspice. I am not a fan of Cumin but if you like it up it to 2 tsp. 


Start with a brine. When done brining, rinse the chicken and pat dry. Coat in melted coconut oil, rub the spice mix on both side and place in a greased baking dish. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees. 
I sliced it before plating it. It was so tender and juicy. Just perfect! Since I wanted some extra fat to keep me full I added some EVOO Drizzle. 



Leftover Drizzle 

EVOO Drizzle
3/4 cup EVOO
1 tsp Crushed Garlic (or Powdered)
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Dried or Fresh Chopped Parsley 
Juice from One Lemon (optional)

Mix everything to taste in a mason jar. Drizzle over chicken. Great on veggies too. 


I felt like I had been chincy on my veggies recently so I made a big pan tonight. I sauteed some onions and then added in yellow squash, zucchini and asparagus. I cubed the squash and zucchini and cut the asparagus into 3 pieces to help the cooking process. It was the perfect blend of sweetness and "green veggie" taste.  


"Keep Calm and Whole30 On" right?





No comments:

Post a Comment