Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Lack of a Garden: What to Grow this Summer

HWY 176
Looks like a great place to garden no? There are 3 reasons I am not gardening this summer despite having a success last year

1. New environment 
2. Water
3.  My gardening expert is 2.5 hours away. 

Last year's sunflowers with squash in background
Since moving I have found that we are only 2.5 hours to the east but the conditions seem to be a bit more extreme. I'm used to the lack of rain, but the wind and the heat seem to be more intense. And the sun!  We are at the same elevation but the sun seems is be much more intense. I'm going to give it one summer before investing to much money into plants that will fail. I will also use the summer to map out where the best position for the pots will be. I'll need protection from the wind but need varying levels of sun. Something out of reach from little hands would also be appreciated.

New Mexico Sun



To Few Rainy Days
Water is hot topic here. We live in the middle of a desert that is having extreme drought conditions (along with wildfires). Top that off with exceptional population growth and there just isn't enough water. Our house doesn't have a drip system which is perfect for water conservation. We also don't have our own well which means we are subject to strict watering rules. Here in Texas neighbors are encouraged to report any abuse witnessed. There are hefty fines ("Any violation may result in a fine up to $500.") and there are surcharges attached to your water bill depending on your usage.  Our grass is a priority this year due to the kids wanting to dig up all the dirt in the back yard and dump it on the patio.

Sand/Dirt Patio Dump

I am also a very bad gardener. Had I not had help last year I'm pretty sure everything would have been under watered/over watered and died. Thanks to technology I have a camera phone and email but my expert just had a baby so I think she will be busy for the next few months.
My Role Model 

But I am not giving up completely on my budding green thumb. I have tried to do herbs in the past and the only thing that worked was rosemary and I cheated and got a baby plant from the nursery  It now has grown into a nice large plant and could be moved out of the pot into the ground since rosemary does well in dry climates. So here is what I will try:

1. Dill. I love fresh dill
2. Basil
3. Parsley
4. One cherry tomato plant (Green Beans can eat her weight in cherry tomatoes)

All that is left from last summer. Geranium, Lantana, and Rosemary.

My plan of attack to buy the herbs as baby plants and grow them inside the kitchen or on a stand on the patio. I'll also set the tomato plant behind our shed where it gets morning light and wind protection. I'll just have to use a watering can but I think I can commit to a few herbs and one tomato plant. I'll get a start after the May wedding of MJ and Esq. Can't leave my plants for 2 weeks!








No comments:

Post a Comment